Saturday, June 11, 2011

Pig Butt

Well I started my morning at 9am prepping the butt for the rest of the day.  My choice of spices to rub onto the butt were salt, pepper, brown sugar, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder.  They were not put on in order and no measuring just straight eye balling it.  The butt hit the charcoal grill at 9:30 with some indirect heat for the next eight hours.  After about two hours  I took the mesquite wood chips that have been soaking and placed them on the coals.  During the eight hours the butt was getting flipped and rotated every two hours.  Also, made some coleslaw to go along with it for dinner.  For the coleslaw I use a bag of coleslaw mix and use the dressing recipe from this coleslaw recipe.  Pulled the butt off the grill after the eight hours and let it rest for about 30 minutes to let the juices redistribute throughout it.  Here is the vinegar based sauce that I use and nothing is better than eastern North Carolina barbeque sauce.  Then the fun began by pulling the butt apart and below is the finished product.


No comments:

Post a Comment